You Were Planned for God’s Pleasure
Newbreak’s Sermon Study Guide is an in-house resource that serves sermon-based Life Groups and/or individuals who want to reflect further on how the message contributes to their spiritual formation. In this week’s study, lean in as we look at what it looks like to fit into God’s family.
Worship is my _______________ to God's love.
Worship is _______________ _______________ to God.
“What do you give to a God who has everything? You give him the one thing he doesn’t have unless you give it to him. You give him your _______________.”
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. (Mark 12:30)
Worship is _______________ my _______________ to God.
“That’s what it means to ‘love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.’ God wants you to love him _______________.”
“The first reason God put you on earth was for you to get to _______________ him and _______________ him back.”
He is a God who is passionate about his relationship with you. (Exodus 34:14b)
I don’t want your sacrifices—I want your love; I don’t want your offerings—I want you to know me. (Hosea 6:6)
“The greatest way to express your love to God is by giving your _______________ to him.”
Give yourselves completely to God since you have been given new life. (Romans 6:13b)
We love him [God] because he [God] first loved us. (1 John 4:19)
Worship is _______________ my _______________ on God.
“That’s what it means to ‘love the Lord your God...with all your mind.’ God wants you to love him _______________. God wants your focus because He is focused on you.”
You have looked deep into my heart, Lord, and you know all about me. You know when I am resting or when I am working...You notice everything I do and everywhere I go. (Psalm 139:1-3)
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Colossians 3:2)
“Establish a _______________ _______________ with God.”
Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace. (Matthew 6:6)
“Develop _______________ _______________ with God.”
Worship him continually. (Psalm 105:4b)
You [Lord] will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you! (Isaiah 26:3)
“When you fix your thoughts on God, God will fix your thoughts.”
Worship is _______________ my _______________ for God.
“That’s what it means to ‘love the Lord your God...with all your strength.’ God wants you to love him _______________, with your actions.”
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people. (Colossians 3:23)
“It’s not _______________ you do that matters; it’s _______________ you do it for.”
“Your _______________ can become your _______________.”
Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. (Romans 12:1)
“Real worship is not an _______________, it is a _______________.”
Questions for Group Discussion or Personal Reflection
- What new insight did you gain from the video segment? What idea really grabbed hold of you?
- What do you think it means to be a “living sacrifice?” (see Romans 12:1)
- Worship is expressing your affection to God. What are some ways we can express our affection to God? What are barriers to doing so?
- What are some steps you can take to get to know God better? What can you do to learn to love him more?
- How do rules and rituals get in the way of true worship? How do rules and rituals assist us in loving God and living in a right relationship with him?
- Surrendering to God is not about losing, it’s about gaining. What do you gain by surrendering more of your life to God?
- Worship is focusing your attention on God. What gets in the way of focusing your attention on God on a daily basis?
- What have you found helpful in establishing a daily time with God? How have you developed a constant conversation with the Lord?
- Worship is using your abilities for God. When and where have you experienced God’s presence in the course of everyday activities?
- Why do we tend to compartmentalize our worship to one day a week, in one particular location? How can we overcome this tendency? What practical steps can we take to involve God in every area of our lives?
- Memorize Romans 6:13b.
- Read Days 8-14 of The Purpose Driven Life. Share your favorite quote of the week.
- Pray daily for yourself, group members, and church.
- Visit Purpose Driven for daily inspiration.
Leave a Comment